Lucid Programming Competition
Join us for the 11th annual Lucid Programming Competition on October 21, 2023. Compete against students from universities across the U.S. The top 30 winners will get Amazon gift cards ranging from $50 to $300. It's always a good time—you won't want to miss it!
Date and time
Saturday, October 21, 2023
9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. MDT
11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. EDT
Join students from across the county in the competition. The competition is open to all current university students. Some of the universities represented are:
- Brigham Young University (BYU)
- University of Utah (U of U)
- Utah State University (USU)
- Duke University
- North Carolina State University (NCSU)
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC Chapel Hill)
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte (UNC Charlotte)
Students from other universities are also welcome to participate.
Any student can participate in the competition virtually. They can join the zoom call and complete problems from their own computer
We will have 4 locations where students can participate in the competition in-person.
- BYU (Lab computers will be available, or bring your own laptop)
- USU (Lab computers will be available, or bring your own laptop)
- U of U (Lab computers will be available, or bring your own laptop)
- Lucid Raleigh Office
- bring your own laptop
- limited availability, register early to secure a spot
In-person participants will receive breakfast before the competition and lunch after. They will also be able to pick up their shirts and stickers while there.
Complete this form to secure your spot in the competition:
- This year’s competition sticker. It is guaranteed for those who complete at least 1 problem and provide a shipping address upon registration.
- This year’s competition t-shirt. It can be picked up on the day of the competition or at a Lucid office (UT and NC) within a month following the competition.
- $500+ in raffle prizes. Everyone who completes at least one problem will be entered into the raffle automatically.
9:00 a.m. MDT (11:00 a.m. EDT) Kick-off meeting over Zoom
9:15 a.m. MDT (11:15 a.m. EDT) Ready, set, go!
Code like crazy
1:15 p.m. MDT (3:15 p.m. EDT) Time’s up!
Take a short break
1:25 p.m. MDT (3:25 p.m. EDT) Prize raffle, winners announced, and solutions revealed
- The competition is open to all current university students.
- Students will compete individually.
- Participants will have 4 hours to solve as many problems as they can.
About the problems
- Participants will receive at least 10 problems, ranging in difficulty from very easy to hard. The problems will be ordered randomly, not based on difficulty.
- Problems will be online in HackerRank and must be submitted through HackerRank.
- Participants can use any programming language, as long as it's supported by HackerRank.
- All problems will use standard input and output.
- Each problem will define the following:
- Known test cases. Solutions can be run and re-run against these known test cases without any penalties.
- Unknown test cases. Solutions will be graded based on these test cases upon submission.
- A time limit. Solutions will time out and fail if not completed within the specified time limit. Algorithms may need to be optimized if submissions are timing out.
- The participant who correctly solves the most problems within the allotted 4 hours will win the competition.
- In the case of a tie, the winner will be determined by the lowest cumulative time to solve each problem. (Note: A 20-minute penalty will be added for each incorrect submission on problems that were eventually solved.)
The top 30 participants will take home Amazon gift cards! Prizes range from $50 to $300
This year we will provide an in-person option for all students. For the students attending in-person:
- We will provide breakfast and lunch at each of these locations.
- Students competing in person at a Utah location will have a lab computer available or they can bring their own laptop.
- Students competing at the Lucid Raleigh office must bring their own laptop.
Look out for emails closer to the event with details about the location.
- BYU: TBD
- U of U: TBD
- USU: TBD
- North Carolina: Lucid’s Raleigh Office 1 Glenwood Ave, Raleigh, NC, 5th Floor